Kissimmee Wrongful Death Attorney
Injury attorneys working to bring peace to survivors
Losing a loved one is a tragic event that leaves surviving family members devastated. If your family has recently suffered such a loss, you may be coping with medical and funeral expenses. You may be afraid for your family’s future and well-being.
However, you may have legal options for compensation. Salazar & Kelly Law Group, P.A. represents families in the Kissimmee and Orlando areas who have lost someone to wrongful death. If you have recently suffered a loss, our Kissimmee wrongful death attorneys can help you establish your case.
What is wrongful death?
Florida law allows you to file a lawsuit for wrongful death under certain circumstances. A wrongful death lawsuit can be based on:
- A wrongful act — A wrongful act typically refers to an action that most people would regard as criminal behavior. Assaults, shootings, reckless behavior and drunken driving may qualify as wrongful acts.
- Negligence — Negligence occurs when a person has a duty to follow a standard of care, and their failure to live up to that duty results in the injury or death of another person. A duty can apply to countless scenarios, ranging from a mechanic’s duty to customers to a doctor’s responsibility for a patient’s well-being, a failure of which can lead to a medical malpractice action.
- Breach of contract or warranty —̶ Florida law allows a wrongful death suit to be brought for a loss resulting from a breach of contract or warranty. This primarily applies to instances in which a defective product resulted in a fatal accident.
If your loved one died as a result of an accident, a defective product or another person’s criminal acts, you may be able recover for your loss through a civil lawsuit.
Helping families after a fatal accident
Under Florida law, the personal representative of an estate can bring an action for wrongful death following the passing of a family member in a car accident. Family members may recover for:
- Lost support and services, including the decedent’s probable net income
- Medical or funeral expenses
- Loss of companionship and protection
- Mental pain and suffering
If you are struggling with the emotional and financial costs of losing a loved one, our firm can help you learn more about your legal options for recovery.
Florida’s statute of limitations is important
A statute of limitations is an important deadline for lawsuits. If you wait too long to file a lawsuit, you can be barred from pursuing the case in court and recovering damages. In Florida, different claims have different limitations; the statute requires that a lawsuit for wrongful death be filed within two years of the victim’s passing. If you recently lost a loved one, it is important to speak with an attorney as soon as possible to preserve your legal rights.
Schedule a free initial consultation to discuss your family’s loss
Salazar & Kelly Law Group, P.A. pursues personal injury and wrongful death claims in Kissimmee, Orlando, and throughout Central Florida. You are not billed unless you receive compensation. For a free consultation with one of our Kissimmee wrongful death attorneys, call us at 407.483.0500 or schedule an appointment online.